Llewella Belle Day

 Day's Lime Kiln

 2015

Pictures courtesy of Lew Hoffman and Tour Guide Zeb Davis

Llewella Belle Day

"The two Day brothers, Arden E. and Leonard W. , came to town about the year 1872 and bought of J.P. Giddings the old Tower farm, now owned by D. D. Day. Their wives were sisters, daughters of Amos Wetmore of North Ira, so called, and the four made a strong team of workers in any social or religious movement in the community."

The Farm House was  Demolished  in 2001.

DAY'S LIME KILN 1910

Old Day Farm

In the typical case limestone (CA CO3 or Calcium Carbonate) is converted to Lime (Calcium Oxide) by driving off the (Carbon Dioxide) with heat.

LEARN ABOUT EARLY KILNS

1910

DAY'S LIME KILN - 2015

Picture Copied from Ira 2000 Annual Report

Extract from the "History of Ira, Vermont" By S.L. Peck

Picture taken from "History of Ira, Vermont" By S.L. Peck